If you have seen noticeable thinning in your hair, fear not, we have compiled an in-depth guide on how to hide thinning hair in the front for women. We have also mentioned quite a few tips on how to hide thinning hair in other parts of your hair as well!
Hair loss is completely normal for everyone. Although, when strands don’t replace themselves quickly enough, the appearance of thinning hair begins. One of the causes of thinning hair is a lack of iron intake. It could also be because of chemo treatment, alopecia, a lack of sleep, or age. But no matter which category you fall into, there is no need to worry. Fortunately, there are many solutions on how to disguise thinning hair in women. Hence, we have selected our favorites that will help you conceal thinning hair. So, without further ado, here is a list of our top five tips on how to cover thinning hair for women:
How to Hide scalp with Thin Hair
1. Using headwear to conceal thinning hair
2. Using products that add volume
3. Cut your hair
4. Invest in hair toppers
5. Use wigs
6. Best hair colors to hide thinning hair
1. Use headwear to hide thinning hair
Headwear comes in many different shapes and forms. To name a few, there are bamboo chemo hats, chemo headscarves, turbans, and, sun hats with UPF sun protection. Their irritation-free interiors deliver utter comfort. Plus, they are specifically designed for ladies with hair loss so they cover your entire hairline. They can be used by anyone, even if they are not undergoing chemotherapy.
- Bamboo chemo hats are especially soft and gentle and contain antiperspirant properties. Additionally, they allow your skin to breathe. The bamboo fiber adjusts the temperature of your skin keeping you warm on cold days and cool in the heat.
- Choose chemo headscarves if you fancy styling your headwear. Their long scarves allow you to add your flare. Plus, you can transform your look from day to day.
- Turbans on the other hand are a no-fuss way to achieve a glamorous appearance.
- Sun hats with UPF sun protection (as recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation). UPF stands for Ultra Violet Protection Factor. In fact, this innovative feature provides UVA and UVB protection. Unlike SPF sun cream, which generally only gives UVB protection. Our styles have 50+ UPF sun protection. It is the highest and offers excellent UV protection. In other words, it blocks 98% of UV. Furthermore, our sunwear hats come in an array of colors. So, you can pick and choose the right shade to match your look!
- On a side note, chemo sleep caps are the perfect way to conceal thinning hair. Particularly if you are sleeping in the same room as somebody else. Also, they insulate and keep you cozy, assisting in a good night’s sleep.
Whatever the season, weather, or situation, there is perfect headwear out there for you. Also, there is a wide selection of colors, designs, and fabrics to select from. So, you will certainly find items that coordinate and complement your style.
Whatever the season, weather, or situation, there is perfect headwear out there for you. Also, there is a wide selection of colours, designs, and fabrics to select from. So, you will certainly find items that coordinate and complement your style.
Head covering are easy to maintain and don’t irritate the scalp. Wear hats specifically to suit your needs such as stylish chemo headscarves and chemo hats. Choose bamboo chemo hats for added comfort, breathability and their antiperspirant qualities. In fact, there is headwear to suit all your needs. For example, wear soft chemo beanies to keep warm. Use exercise hats for chemo patients whilst doing gentle exercises such as walking. There are even chemo hats for women with small heads. A suggestion is to start wearing headwear before hair loss is noticeable. In turn, this can make a smoother transition to using headwear every day.
2. Use products that add volume to hide thinning hair
Certain products to disguise thinning hair work wonders. For example, use hair spray, mousse, etc. Play around with them to figure out if this is the solution for you. Note that this generally works better on ladies with short haircuts.
3. How to cut your hair to hide thinning hair
You may be wondering “how can cutting hair hide thinning hair?” Without further explanation, it could sound like a bizarre solution. Naturally, if you are experiencing thinning hair, you probably won’t want to lose any more hair. In fact, a shorter haircut with layers naturally adds texture and volume. Hence, it gives the impression of a fuller, healthier look. Thus, it is a great technique for how to cover female hair loss.
4. Use Hair toppers to hide thinning hair in the front
Hair toppers are great for those not requiring a full head wig. In fact, they are the ideal solution for how to hide bald spots for women. Plus, they are the answer for how do you hide the top of thinning hair. Hair toppers are light, small in size, and beautifully blend in with your natural hair. So, they are the perfect hair accessories to hide thinning hair. Choose a shade to match your natural color. Attach onto the existing hair using clips, and voila! The area is then discreetly hidden.
5. How to use wigs to hide thinning hair
There is a wide range of wigs on offer, each serving a different purpose:
- Human hair wigs are the highest quality of wigs on offer. Remy Hair means the cuticle is still intact and every strand in the wig goes in the same direction. It is a premium feature allowing the hair to flow naturally. Plus, it looks fresher for much longer, and the hairs don’t tangle. Remy Human Hair is the highest quality available. Unlike synthetic wigs, human hair wigs may be treated like normal hair. Thus they provide the possibilities of blow-drying, highlighting, and coloring. Like real hair, human hair wigs don’t keep the shape the same way a synthetic hair wig does. Thus it allows you to style your wigs the way you want.
- Lace front wigs create a natural-looking hairline. Their mesh provides a smooth transition between the wig and your skin to achieve a natural look. The lace makes the wigs more breathable. So, they are easier to wear for longer periods. Lace front wigs are a good solution to how to cover front hair loss.
- Monofilament wigs with mono-partings have realistic partings. Whereas, monofilament wigs with mono crowns produce natural-looking hair growth. Monofilament top wigs are natural-looking, high-quality wigs. They are made from a soft mesh on the top section of the wig. Thus, they feel very lightweight on the scalp. The hairs are sewn individually onto this mesh. So, this looks as if the hair is growing from the skin. Additionally, a benefit is being able to part the hair in any direction. Wefts of hair are sewn to each other by machine on the rest of the wig. So, monofilament wigs are a great answer for how to hide thinning hair in the front for women.
6. Best hair color to hide thinning hair
When choosing a hair color to conceal thinning hair in the front, it’s best to go a shade lighter than your natural hair to contrast between your hair and the thinning area.
Natural ways to prevent hair loss during chemotherapy
For a holistic approach, many people look for natural options of how to keep hair during chemo.
- Increase your consumption of Vitamin C. In fact, it is vital in promoting hair growth. So, it’s advisable to up your intake of fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C.
- Try a scalp cooling hat. Ask your doctor about using a scalp cooling hat. They constrict the blood vessels. Thus, it can avoid the chemo reaching hair follicles. As a result, this is an option for how not to lose hair during chemo.
- Wear a chemo sleep hat. It is beneficial no matter which route you decide to go down. We highly recommend it. Why? Because sleeping caps provide warmth, protection and also avoid scalp irritation. Using a sleeping cap is a method of keeping hair loss to a minimum during the night. It reduces friction with the pillow. In fact, sleeping caps provide you with a better night’s sleep. So, you will wake up feeling well-rested and rejuvenated.
- Massage in thyme and rosemary essential oils. Studies show that these oils can prevent hair loss. Thus, it is a natural ways to prevent hair loss during chemotherapy. Be sure you always dilute them with a carrier oil before applying.
Frequently asked questions
Why does chemotherapy cause hair loss?
Chemo generally causes hair loss because it targets rapidly dividing cells. As well as affecting cancerous cells, it also targets healthy cells. That is how it affects hair follicles. Hair can start to fall out as early as two weeks after starting chemo.
How long after chemo does hair stop thinning?
There are various factors that contribute to how much hair loss occurs. For instance, the dose and timings play a huge role. Generally, a month after completing chemotherapy is when hair starts to regrow. Before then, you will have a soft fuzz.
Can hair grow back after thinning?
The answer is that once chemo is complete, it will grow back! So, remind yourself that hair loss is only temporary.
How can I make my hair thicker after chemo?
- Focus on receiving good nutrition
- Look after your scalp
- Massage in essential oils such as rosemary with a carrier oil
Note that it is common for the colour, texture, and thickness of your hair to come out different from what your hair was like pre-chemo.
- It is normal to feel anxious about hair loss
- It’s okay to feel upset and not recognize yourself in the mirror
- Hair loss gives you the chance to totally switch up your look on a daily basis, e.g. alternate between wigs, headwear etc.
- Remind yourself that hair re-growth is just around the corner! If you found this helpful, check out our article on shaving hair before chemo!
We have now come to the end of, in our opinion, the best ways to hide thinning hair. So, for more help through your hair loss journey, have a read of our other blogs you may also be interested in; Benefits of Vitamin C on the Hair and Skin